outraged woman willing to be outrageous for peace

Thursday, November 18, 2004

Writing letters to lobby gov't

Think that writing letters to government officials doesn't work, won't be effective, is a waste of time? You are SO astoundingly wrong, as this blog post from Jeff Jarvis demonstrates.

I'm as guilty as anybody in thinking that such letters aren't worth the effort, a feeling that has intensified since coming to conservative Oklahoma.

But when an issue comes up that makes me think about writing to, say an Oklahoma republican Senator, to say "vote no" but I don't, then that Senator brags that he only got letters that said "vote yes" I cringe with shame. I have allowed him -- and now the media and the public -- to solidify the belief that the opinion is unanimous.

We should never allow them to make such a statement. We have to start demonstrating that there is an opposition to insanity, however small.